Thursday, October 17, 2013

Bishop Rotary 'Capo' Review


GREETINGS!!!!
Whats up, everyone?! This review is about my Bishop 'Capo' Rotary tattoo machine. 
I've always used coil machines since I started tattooing. Just recently did I acquire a rotary and its a fantastic piece of tattoo machinery. It has so many benefits and is completely different than a traditional coil machine.

Let me start off by saying that I personally think that anyone who is just starting out as a tattoo artist should definitely learn on coil machines and use them for a while into their career before trying rotary machines. Its very important that a tattooist learns the in and outs of a coil machine and can take it apart and put it together. These are the types of machines that the artists who paved the way for us used. I feel that by knowing how to handle these simple, yet complex machines work is a way of paying a respect to the fathers of our craft. 

For someone that is going to start using rotary machines for the first time, I can say from experience that there is definitely a noticeable difference in way they handle compared to a coil machine. 
One major difference in my Bishop machine is that it is so much lighter than any of my coil machines. It almost feels uncomfortable at times being that Im so used to the weight of a coil machine. The lack of weight makes me feel like Im using a cheap knock off toy or something. But that it is not. The ease at which I can pump out smooth greys and color blends with this tiny machine is incredible. I have tattoo machines that can produce the same quality tattoos that my Bishop can, however with this device it feels so much more effortless. 
One benefit, however, of the lack of weight in this machine is that it makes longer tattoo sessions much less strenuous. 
To be honest, when I first started using the rotary I was pretty intimidated by it. As I said, being so used to the weight and feel of a coil machine made using this machine difficult to get used to at first. I would do one or two tattoos then put it down for a couple of tattoos and try it again. Having used coils for so long, something like the rotary didn't feel natural. But now I love it. 

Another thing I really like about this rotary is how quiet it is. Since rotary machines are basically just a motor, there is no chatter sound of an A- Bar slapping against electro magnets. This is a great feature of these types of machines. It makes conversation with clients easier and eases  the nerves of a new tattoo collector. The buzz of a coil machine can be quite intimidating to a person who hasn't experienced a tattoo before. 

One major detail about this machine is that it doesn't "bog down" like coil machines will when the needle makes contact with the skin. Which is good. Since the needle is operating on a motor, rather than a spring, there is less give and the machine does not lose any of its "power." This creates a much more consistent and fluid movement in the needle throw. Which is wonderful for creating solid outlines and evenly packed color.

These are qualities that most, if not all rotary machines have in common. (I've only used this Bishop machine, but Im assuming they operate the same.) But some unique aspects of the Bishop that I've come to really love are the shape and sleek design. The arch on the bottom side of the machine allows for a comfortable and secure grip on your tube. 
The sleek design of the Bishop rotary machines make it easy to look at. I've had clients comment on it after seeing it for the first time asking if its the "Lamborghini of tattoo machines."
I haven't used this machine much for outlining as much as I have for shading. As I mentioned before, it produces super smooth blends with both black and grey and color. 

Bishop offers their machines in either a clip cord or RCA connection so you can use which ever you're comfortable with. They also stock their machines in a plethora of awesome colors to pick from. 10 all together. I chose pink. You can also pick which stroke length you want your machine to run at. Either 3.5mm or 4.2mm. 3.5mm is generally used for black and grey shading and color blending and smaller grouping outliners. Where as 4.2mm stroke is better for more traditional style color packing and larger sized outliners. 

These are really great tattoo machines. I highly recommend heading over to the website - www.bishoprotary.com and picking one up for yourself. These machines have inspired me to check out other rotaries and see how they compare. I'd love to hear your experience with the Bishop rotary machines or just in general!! Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment